Where did this day go? A typically busy Monday doing reports, scheduling and welcoming my boss back from his vacation. Throw in a small family emergency and it is now 9:25 PM…And I am barely writing this blog. I still have to study for an upcoming full day of testing for the CAP-OM certification next month.
This has been my life for the past several weeks and I know I will look back on this fondly. I also know I will appreciate the additional 6 hours a week I will get back when it is all over.
Time is on my side – The Rolling Stones
I wish time were on my side right now. The hours seem to be passing at such a rapid speed. I want it all to slow down. Right. Now. I so wish I were a bit more focused when I study.
Being in the Moment
I have practiced this for years and right now I am struggling with my daily practice. When I am sitting in meditation, I find it taking more effort to still my mind. Oh and did I mention the hot flashes? Ha! For many years I struggled physically and was able to be still spiritually. Today it is the exact opposite.
It has been a while since I have visited this notion. The below items have been a wonderful reminder of how to attain said balance:
- Mind Sweep is a concept taught by the people at Getting Things Done. It entails setting a timer for 5 minutes and in that five minutes, we write down everything that is taking up space in our minds. No need to prioritize during this time. Just get it all down on paper
- Examine each item and sort them by what you can get done in 5 minutes or less, what will need to be set up as a project, what you need outside resources to complete, and items that can’t be done right away (we call this one someday/maybe.)
- Set your Goals and Tasks accordingly
- Reflect on past successes when you were last challenged with balancing life. Are any of those solutions a good reference point for some of your current challenges? Experience is golden – Use it!
- Meet your negative self-talk head on. Don’t act like it doesn’t exist. When procrastination tells you tomorrow is another day, simply reply “Thank you for your suggestion, but I think I will get it done today”. And let it go with love and peace.
- Be kind to yourself. You are doing the best you can.
- Seek help from another person you trust to bounce off your concerns and frustrations. A good support system is needed by all.
- Planning is great. Just remember to pray. Sometimes we forget to add God to our flow-charts and then we wonder where we went wrong.
- Don’t take yourself too seriously. Easy Does it. Have some fun and enjoy the process!
Stay Blissful My Friends – E